Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sideshow Collectibles

I'm a nerd. I'm a geek. I'm not concerned with how anyone wants to label me, really.

Now that the obligatory introductions are complete, I'd like to talk about the items offered by Sideshow Collectibles. This company produces high end collectibles for licensees such as Marvel comics (my personal favorite), Star Wars, Disney and Lord of the Rings.

These are not the kind of things you buy and give out to children. These are for adult collectors and have a price tag to match. Further, because they are meant to be displayed and not necessarily handled too frequently, these types of collectibles may be considered more "museum pieces" (using the term loosely, of course) than toys (although you can access their website from Sideshowtoy.com as well).



Accordingly, although these pieces are an expensive proposition, you can buy and trade these statues and busts with an eye for profit. An Iron Man Comicquette offered by Sideshow was originally offered at $250.00. This same statue sells for over a thousand dollars on eBay regularly. Find me another investment that will show a return of investment of 400 percent and I'll, well, I'll look into it.

The reason for my caution involves I bought two Iron Man Life Size Busts as an investment. This was a very high end offering that I waited over six months for and ordered sight unseen. As it turns out, others had the idea and also hoarded them. Along with that, there were paint and other issues which made them less desirable in the aftermarket. Lesson learned, as with any other arena of endeavor. But if you learn your lessons, you can turn failure into success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment and thanks for reading!
-Jim